In the dark of February, deep inside the doldrums of Seasonal Affective Disorder, Photo February is here to remind you of brighter days to cheer you up! Through your 1000s of digital photographs from wonderful vacations and parties with family and friends, here is the checklist you need to help you organize them. Smile and laugh again at the memories your images invoke!
8-Step Photo Decluttering Checklist:
1. Choose a single collection of your photographs from a bright gathering with friends and family. Or choose a warm, sunny vacation that will bring back warm, sunny memories.
2. Separate the chosen event from your other photos by placing it into its own album or file.
3. Ask others in the photographs to join you in your image decluttering of this event so you can do this at the same time with their collection from the event, safely online. Swap memories, funny stories, and photos to create a complete album of the event or family member.
4. Many fun events can have over 100 photos, so break the event down even more by day, activity, or people in the photographs.
5. Delete any duplicates.
6. Delete poor quality images.
7. Consider your end project: Do you simply need them to be organized in the cloud or on a USB? Or is this to celebrate an upcoming birthday or wedding anniversary and putting them together in a photo book would be a good gift?
8. Curate the collection that best represents this photo collection into a tightly organized gallery showing. Including editing the photographs as necessary for its end purpose.
Pro-tip: Be sure to take a lot of break to rest your eyes from extended computer use. Set a time for 20 minutes to remind yourself to take that break.
Decluttering is more than simply deleting digital assets, it includes editing and organizing the ones you want to keep. Be realistic in your decluttering time frames. 10,000 photographs to declutter in February is 357 images per day! Possible, but that would give your poor eyes a lot to complain about for 28 days straight.
Did you miss the January Jumpstart Decluttering Calendar?
Here it is for you to work it into your schedule at it suits your digital decluttering needs: